If Death Occurs At Home
1. Telephone the GP surgery if death occurs between 8am and 6.30pm. Outside of this time contact 111 who will visit to confirm that death has taken place.
2. Contact a funeral director.
3. The death certificate will be emailed directly to the Registars Office
4. Contact the Registrars office to make an appointment.
The person registering the death (customer) will need to make an appointment online https://www.essex.gov.uk/register-a-death OR call on 0345 603 7632.
5. The Registrar will normally issue a Green coloured certificate for you to give to your funeral director who will look after necessary arrangements for the funeral. The Registrar will also issue a white notification certificate for the DSS. They will also enquire as to the number of Certified Copies you require for dealing with the deceased finances (a fee is payable for each copy).
If The Death Occurs In Hospital
1. Contact a funeral director to inform him his services are required.
2. Speak to the bereavement office directly who will advise of their protocol for the death certificate.
Note For Cremation
Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery regarding the additional certification required.